We finally finished up the coop and now have it inhabited by some Chicks. The coop was designed and built by James with my input along the way. We made it portable so we can push it around the yard.
Memorial Day weekend James Grant and I headed over to Stanwood to pick out some three week old chicks I found on craigslist. Here are the chicks we ended up getting.
Delaware - "Coopee"

Golden Campine - Not pictured
Black Sexlink - "Tippy"

Rhode Island Red - "Ruby"

Barred Plymouth Rock - "Barbie"

A few days ago we found our Golden Campine dead in the coop all the other birds were fine. I believe it was from something called Coccidiosis which is an infectios diesease caused by a protozoan parasite found in the soil. About 80% of the time a chick will recover and be immune but that was not the case for our little Golden Campine.
So Grant and I yesterday went to Cenex and picked up three more little chicks.
Black Jersey Giant - Not yet named
Black Aulstrop - Not yet named
Ameracano - "Cleo"
I know losing one and getting three where is the math in that?? I am planning ahead in case any others should perish. Our coop is also big enough for all 7 of our chicks it is just that we will be eating a LOT of eggs! :) Hopefully we did not get any roosters...
You will notice from the video some of Grant's name choices did not exactly stick. Also notice the paint job he did on the inside of the coop. The whole time I stained the outside (took me about two hours) Grant was working on staining the inside of the coop. He did a great job and not only got the coop but his face/clothes/shoes/anything else unlucky enough to be in a 5 foot radius too!
Memorial Day weekend James Grant and I headed over to Stanwood to pick out some three week old chicks I found on craigslist. Here are the chicks we ended up getting.Delaware - "Coopee"
Golden Campine - Not pictured
Black Sexlink - "Tippy"
Rhode Island Red - "Ruby"
Barred Plymouth Rock - "Barbie"
A few days ago we found our Golden Campine dead in the coop all the other birds were fine. I believe it was from something called Coccidiosis which is an infectios diesease caused by a protozoan parasite found in the soil. About 80% of the time a chick will recover and be immune but that was not the case for our little Golden Campine.
So Grant and I yesterday went to Cenex and picked up three more little chicks.
Black Jersey Giant - Not yet named
Black Aulstrop - Not yet named
Ameracano - "Cleo"
I know losing one and getting three where is the math in that?? I am planning ahead in case any others should perish. Our coop is also big enough for all 7 of our chicks it is just that we will be eating a LOT of eggs! :) Hopefully we did not get any roosters...
You will notice from the video some of Grant's name choices did not exactly stick. Also notice the paint job he did on the inside of the coop. The whole time I stained the outside (took me about two hours) Grant was working on staining the inside of the coop. He did a great job and not only got the coop but his face/clothes/shoes/anything else unlucky enough to be in a 5 foot radius too!
So precious. Such a great little boy :)
ReplyDeleteI so love the name OLD MCDONALD! That one should have stuck. How cute. Grant is too adorable with his little hatchlings. When we were there he cracked me up picking them up and loving on them. Can't wait to come visit and have some farm fresh eggs. Be sure to post about your first gathering whenever it happens. How long does it take?
ReplyDeleteMy kids fell in love with those chicks!!! What fun will that be!!!! Enjoy! And I heard the horse in the background... still horsin' around, eh? :-) Hope we can hook up August!
ReplyDeleteSO cute...my fav name is also Old McDonald...wish that did stick! Grant is so cute with them, great video!!
ReplyDelete