SO last night we got home from swimming (and a little geocaching) around 9:30. I plop myself down in our tv room exhausted from a seven mile run earlier that day followed up by an almost mile swim.
I am blankly watching something (I think it is the Office) when I hear thud thud thud "MOM, YOU FORGOT TO KISS ME!" So I drag myself upstairs to give the "forgotten" kiss and this is the conversation Grant and I proceed to have.
"Mom, you forgot to kiss me"
"Honey I always kiss you before I go to bed. I just haven't gone to bed yet."
Grant trying to prolong his bedtime says "Mom, why do I have to be alone?"
"Because you are supposed to be sleeping silly."
"Why do you get to sleep with Dad?"
"Because we are married honey."
"Can I be married to you?"
"No honey you can only be married to people that are not related to you."
"Like who?"
"Ummm, like Ayden."
Grant says "Hmm, How about Tate?"
Uh oh what the heck did I just start here... "Ummm, Well honey boys are not allowed to be married, well at least not in this state, well at least not... Ok Grant enough! It is time for bed we will talk about this later...." uggghhh not my best Mom moment but I just could not go into the complexities of it all at that time of night. Hopefully I can gather my thoughts and figure out an appropriate response when I am not so dead to the world.
Grant sure has been keeping me on my toes lately. The other day during "quiet time" I went in his room to find him pulling toys down from the TOP of his closet. Yes that is right the top of his closet. He was balanced on top of his chair that he set on top of his toy box which he pushed across the room into his closet. So there he is pulling down his "special" toys from the TOP of his closet! I slapped my head at his ingenuity and immediately started worrying that he is going to be too smart for his own good way to soon. I am in TROUBLE girls!
Some of you may already know this but Grant has pretty much stopped taking naps. I have tried all different things from pitch black rooms to leaving him for an hour or more to fall a sleep but to no avail. How does the saying go? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Well in our case you can put Grant into bed but you can't make him sleep. Now I can't complain too much because he sleeps through the night like a champ and knows to not wake me before 8 am. But I have lost my nap time during the day. Ohhhh to have the hour or so of quiet time when I could actually concentrate on a project and finish it.
Now we have the aforementioned quiet time when Grant can read books and play quietly in his room for an hour to an hour and a half each day. This usually works out pretty good except for the other day when I am trying to mow the lawn. I peek up at our house and every time I go around the house Grant is sticking his head up out the window. I run inside to catch him in the act but his is quick and hears the mower stop and beelines it for his bedroom. By the time I close the front door I hear the click of his bedroom door. I go upstairs open his bedroom door and there he is laying on his bed looking at me with big innocent eyes. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy as my Grandpa used to say.
I am blankly watching something (I think it is the Office) when I hear thud thud thud "MOM, YOU FORGOT TO KISS ME!" So I drag myself upstairs to give the "forgotten" kiss and this is the conversation Grant and I proceed to have.
"Mom, you forgot to kiss me"
"Honey I always kiss you before I go to bed. I just haven't gone to bed yet."
Grant trying to prolong his bedtime says "Mom, why do I have to be alone?"
"Because you are supposed to be sleeping silly."
"Why do you get to sleep with Dad?"
"Because we are married honey."
"Can I be married to you?"
"No honey you can only be married to people that are not related to you."
"Like who?"
"Ummm, like Ayden."
Grant says "Hmm, How about Tate?"
Uh oh what the heck did I just start here... "Ummm, Well honey boys are not allowed to be married, well at least not in this state, well at least not... Ok Grant enough! It is time for bed we will talk about this later...." uggghhh not my best Mom moment but I just could not go into the complexities of it all at that time of night. Hopefully I can gather my thoughts and figure out an appropriate response when I am not so dead to the world.
Grant sure has been keeping me on my toes lately. The other day during "quiet time" I went in his room to find him pulling toys down from the TOP of his closet. Yes that is right the top of his closet. He was balanced on top of his chair that he set on top of his toy box which he pushed across the room into his closet. So there he is pulling down his "special" toys from the TOP of his closet! I slapped my head at his ingenuity and immediately started worrying that he is going to be too smart for his own good way to soon. I am in TROUBLE girls!
Some of you may already know this but Grant has pretty much stopped taking naps. I have tried all different things from pitch black rooms to leaving him for an hour or more to fall a sleep but to no avail. How does the saying go? You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Well in our case you can put Grant into bed but you can't make him sleep. Now I can't complain too much because he sleeps through the night like a champ and knows to not wake me before 8 am. But I have lost my nap time during the day. Ohhhh to have the hour or so of quiet time when I could actually concentrate on a project and finish it.
Now we have the aforementioned quiet time when Grant can read books and play quietly in his room for an hour to an hour and a half each day. This usually works out pretty good except for the other day when I am trying to mow the lawn. I peek up at our house and every time I go around the house Grant is sticking his head up out the window. I run inside to catch him in the act but his is quick and hears the mower stop and beelines it for his bedroom. By the time I close the front door I hear the click of his bedroom door. I go upstairs open his bedroom door and there he is laying on his bed looking at me with big innocent eyes. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy as my Grandpa used to say.
Oh that is sweet! I'm so glad you wrote that one down. If his plans with Ayden fall through, he can marry my daughter someday. I'd love to have Grant as a son in-law. Wouldn't it be funny if one of our many boys actually did marry Ayden?
ReplyDeleteP.S....love the daisy page!
SO funny! I laughed out loud, I love how conversations at this age can start getting away from you...from a missed bedtime kiss to same sex marriage in under 2 minutes....when u figure out how to have THAT conversation, let me know!
ReplyDeleteDid your mom ever tell you she hoped you had kids like you someday? What a funny story Holley!
ReplyDeleteOh Holley, too funny! I feel like Ethan stumps me on a daily basis now, I'm constantly trying to find ways out of an awkward conversation. This age is so fun though.
ReplyDeleteAs for the nap thing, the "horse/water" analogy was my mantra for a couple months last fall when Ethan stopped taking his naps. I did everything I could to allow for sleep, but he just didn't need it anymore. We did quiet time for a few months too, but I think he actually gets more rest laying in my bed watching Curious George than he did wreaking havoc in his room. Just thank God you have good long nights, there are many Moms out there still struggling with that hurdle. And 8am?!!! I can't get my kids to sleep past 6:30...count your lucky stars!!!
Thanks for sharing!
I love your picture on your home page. It's wonderful doing things as a family. Also like the daisys. Thought your conversation was great. Thanks for sharing. The lawn mowing was hilarious. ( He is pretty smart, to know the difference in the sound.) Wait till he's a teenager and tries to sneak out of the house (ha, ha).
ReplyDeleteI could hardly stop laughing on your comment of Grant as a teenager....can't believe you would actually think those innocent Wyman children would be snitches. Thanks for the recipe.
ReplyDeleteWhat fun stories! Grant will be that kid in school who gets dared to do "bad" things and does them all... Funny, Calvin just asked me the other day if he was my husband too. We didn't get into a detailed conversation though. Have you guys tried letterboxing at all? Kind of like geocaching I think but without the GPS. What a great family picture.
ReplyDeleteSteph (I can't sign in for some reason, so I'm posting as anonymous)