Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hospital Visit

So Grant has had a reoccurring croupy cough since he was born. Yesterday was the first time he woke up crying and laboring to breathe. Very scary so I called his Doctor's office but they did not have any openings. They told me to bring him to the ER. I did and he ended up getting an adrenaline/steroid syrup and a nebulizer treatment. Within a half hour he was breathing better. Unfortunately they wanted to admit us because after 8-10 hours when the adrenaline wears off it can bounce back even worse.
Grant in his hospital gown. I was surprised by how soft it was. If he looks a little loopy here might have something to do with the "medicine" he just had!
So we got to spend the night in the hospital. Here is the bed?/cage Grant slept in.
The funny thing is is he insisted he wanted to sleep in it rather than the bed. Here he is super excited!
Although that is not what he was saying at 11:30 last night when he crawled in my bed and we practiced counting to 100 until he finally feel asleep at midnight. The nurse came in and moved him back into his bed so I got some OK(?) sleep. He slept through the night (kind of) and only needed one saline nebulizer treatment. The doctor listened and gave us the all clear in the morning.
I was so thankful that we have such a great little hospital so close to us. Everyone was so wonderful at the hospital and we were even visited by the nurse (Barbara) who helped deliver Grant. Have to love small towns.

6 comments:

  1. How scary! But at least it looks like he had a good experience for his trip to the hospital. You don't see many kids with the big smiles on their faces when they are there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frightening...nice to see he handled it with good humour, that "bed" would have freaked me out if I was him! Hope he stays healthy, but it is nice to know you have care you trust if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That could have been a scary bed to anyone. Good that Grant was feeling well enough to make it a good experience and not a really bad memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grant...you look like a cute little lion cub in a cage (just like your hospital gown.) Glad you were such a brave big boy and feeling better now. Did you remember the lady nurse that helped deliver you? ( I bet you do.) I like your soft horsey blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad he responded so well to the medicines. Whenever Mikie has a neb treatment it makes him so hyper. That cage was exactly like the one Mikie had for 2 days in Sept 06 at the Navy Hospital when he was admitted with pneumonia. I'm glad he had a fun time even though he wasn't feeling well. Did Grant have fun playing with the up/down buttons on the big bed? That was the highlight of our labor day weekend with Mikie. I love the idea of counting to 100 while getting him to fall asleep. Happy he is home now. Does he have to use an inhaler?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adventure! Seems kind of crazy that they would make an almost 4 year old boy sleep in a crib... Glad Grant is doing okay. Can he really count to 100??? Oh, and I just love his hair. It is the cutest thing.

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML