Saturday, August 2, 2008

Whidbey Island Triathlon 2008

Wow what a day! Amber and I did our second Whidbey Island Triathlon today! James was even able to compete because Heidi came down to cheer us on and watch Grant for us. I really can't tell you how great it is having people cheer you on! It is completely uplifting when you are hurting and want to slow down. Thanks so much Grant and Heidi for waking up at 6 am in the morning and coming out to watch us.

The triathlon consists of three different events - 1/2 mile swim, 19.5 mile bike and 3.8 mile run.

Here is a picture of me on the bike portion. I was quite thrown off when doing the bike portion because when I got my bike off the rack after my swim my Garmin forerunner 305 was missing. This is what keeps track of my cadence, heart rate, distance, speed and time! I was so distraught that someone had stolen it right out of the transition area that it completely threw me off for the first half of my bike. I FINALLY came to terms with it by just checking myself and saying when the going gets tough the tough get going (sounds good right??).
So James was so fast through the whole race that no one could even get a picture of him! He finished in 1:45:53! That time got him in 24th place out of 280 participants. He was FOURTH in his age group! Great jobs James we are all soooo proud of you!

I finished in 2:33:53. That time got me in 206 place out of 280 men and women. It was an improvement of 30 minutes for me! I was very happy with the overall result. Although the swim was pretty rough for me. I had a bit of a hypervenilation/panic attack the first 300 yards of the race and if Amber weren't there I don't know if I would have been able to continue (first time racing in a wetsuit).

Here we are at the end of the race. Victors all!

At this point Grant was EXTREMELY tired and this was about the best smile we could get out of him

Oh and an update to the Garmin Forerunner situation. My sister was checking through the lost and found at the end of the race and found it thrown in with some other stuff into a plastic bag. As best we can tell is that it got popped off when someone else was going through the transition area and hit my bike. Whew what a relief to have it back!

2 comments:

  1. I am so impressed w/ you guys..you go girl! I also loved the pics from your Wisconsin trip...Grant is such an adorable little man now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Holley & James! What a huge improvement from last year. Wish I could have been there to see you cross the finish line. What's next...race across America?

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML