Sunday, September 14, 2008

Flowing Lake Triathlon 2008

The weather has been absolutely fantastic around here making training really enjoyable lately. Amber and I really ramped our training up from our two previous triathlons this year. We have been training a lot "smarter" than usual with more focused training rather than just putting in the miles. Let me tell you sometimes it feels like the real challenge is to try to get all our training for the week. On top of Amber and I trying to get our workouts in James and Andy are ramping up their training for the Seattle Marathon. We do A LOT of coordinating!!

So Amber and I decided to leave the kids and husbands behind and split a hotel room to try to actually GET some sleep the night before a triathlon. This worked out great for us but our poor dedicated husbands decided they really did want to come see us race and had to leave, with all the kids in tow, around 5:30 in the morning! They made it in plenty of time and it was just AWESOME having them cheer us on! THANK YOU!

I think this was probably the most prepared I have felt for a tri yet so I was really excited to get this one underway. It was an absolutely beautiful course through the foothills of the cascades and the weather was perfect!

This is what I like to call Grant's "please leave me alone I am not awake yet" face...

How about this for some hot sexy mamma's! Can you believe we actually consciously decide to put this stuff on???
Ok, is it just me or do I look like a dwarf next to my tall lean friend here?!?! (I think I need shorter friends...)
I actually love, love, love this picture because it shows me in front of a whole gaggle of people! Good angle James! (wink, wink) I did the swim in 9:25. It was a great lake and I had a great time swimming.
Here is the cheering crew waiting for us to come through on our bikes.
Here I am on the bike. I did the 14 mile bike in 56:44 for an average speed of 14.8 mph which could have been at least a couple of minutes faster but I lost my chain on a really steep uphill turn combo and had to go back down the hill to get my chain back on and get clipped back in!
I had a horrible run. Just could not get my legs going felt totally out of energy. I finished the 1.9 miles in 19:51 minutes for a 10:27 min/mil. The whole tri took me 1 hour and 29 minutes. I was very happy with my effort and it was a beautiful course for a triathlon. Here we are after the finish. Sooo happy!
Guess what I actually won my Athena division! Yeah what a sense of accomplishment. It was a great race!
Our future tri athlete?!?
Here he is showing us how he swims... :)

3 comments:

  1. Way to go. Congrats on 1st place. You & Amber sure are dedicated. (I'm proud of both of you) Glad you splurged on that hotel room and sorry about your chain (what a bummer). Loved the pics of Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the win. That's awesome! I love that there's a picture of the kids bundled up in pants and jackets, and right underneath there you are in shorts and a tank top!! You brave woman!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! First place!!! You both are amazing for doing all this with children and husbands training too. I really like the picture of you on your bike. Was that one of the professional ones? Also loved your dwarf comment. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML