Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Sea Monkey Tragedy (A True Story) by James Steller

The sea monkey tragedy

The scene: bedtime - 8:00 pm...Grant, Tate, & Ayden slowly but steadily picking up toys in Grant's bedroom before story. The trundle bed is pulled out. All is quiet.

8:05 - Grant & Tate reported picking up crayons & coloring books, western side of room clean.
8:10 - Ayden on top of trundle bed, not sure about initial intent

Eye Witness Account - At approximate 8:11 Ayden seen exploring the underside of the sea monkey mini aquarium. To our horror, lid and entire contents of sea monkey enclosure now spread across window frame, bookshelves, trundle bed and carpet. Intervention to late

Aftermath: The realization starts to set in...Grant in a slight panic asks what happened to his sea monkeys. Parents roll to secure site. Boys trying to break through the barricade area. Panic in has turned to full blown concern and James escorts kids from the scene.

Sea Monkey Status - Lamps are temporarily brought in from throughout the house to light up the area in question. After refilling the sea monkey tank with tap water, we were able to start locating survivors. On the kacki speckled carpet, a sea monkey looks like a small yellowish fleck...I would liken to orange pulp. Fortunately, if you put your finger next to them, they sort of clung, either by their legs or by adhesion, to our fingers. Fortunately we were able to recover about 6 sea monkeys from ground zero and the household returned to normal.

In memorium - Apparantly, that whole step where you condition the water in an aquarium before you put fish (or sea monkeys) is "life-critical" Not sure if Grant has noticed yet, but this blog is dedicated to the memory of these fine, loyal, pets.

PS. Did we ever think in college we would be on our hands and knees rescuing sea monkeys as kids are in near breakdown in the next room?

5 comments:

  1. Ok, I just LOVE it. Gasp. . . Can't. . . stop. . .laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crime scene was very well depicted. Great job, James! Thankfully the victims can be replaced in a short amount of time (and you don't have to worry about getting the right color patterns of fur/skin to "pull one over" on anyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiting in Qantas lounge at Sydney airport, while Hurricane Ike surges toward Harborwalk, this true story is just what I needed.
    Do you know I've never seen a sea monkey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god...so funny I just don't have the words...too busy laughing....totally awesome description!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo funny. Great story James. I can totally envision the whole fiasco. I had sea monkeys when I was little.

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML