Friday, January 9, 2009

Heidi's 30th Birthday!

So Grant and I decided it would be nice to celebrate Heidi's 30th Birthday with her on the ski slopes. We decided upon Steven's Pass a hill that I had been to once but Heidi had never been to before. We would normally go to Baker but they don't have ski lessons for a 3 year old and Steven's does. So we got up at 4:30 to meet Heidi in Burlington about 5:30 and continue on to the ski hill together.
On our way up the rain turned into sleet then freezing rain then a snow rain mix and then snow. While these changes were occurring the road kept getting sloppier and sloppier so the last 20 miles took about 45 minutes to get up. That and the 20 foot long DOT sign that flashed "CHAINS REQUIRED (flash) CHAINS REQUIRED (flash)" made us wonder if we were every going to make it. Here is a picture of the snowbanks on the side of the road after the DOT sign....
Thanks to our AWD Volvo we did end up making it and it was fantastic boarding. They had about 6 inches of new snow the night before so the boarding was awesome. Snowboarding Sisters!!!

Grant loved his ski school. They had a great set up and he did so well he even got to go up the chairlift (minor heart attack on my part) and ski down the green runs. His ski instructor said he was the best three year old he has ever taught and that when he would give him instructions he would just do it and not have to think about it "a natural skier" as his instructor said.
When we went to get him from ski school he asked to go skiing with Heidi and I. We had the rentals for the day so we decided to brave it and go up with him. He did a great job getting on the chairlift. The lift attendants slowed it down for us and were very helpful. I of course had both my arms wrapped tightly around him and the rail on the chairlift Here Grant and I are right after getting off the chairlift. That smile you see on my face is more out of relief than anything! ;-)
Grant and Heidi the birthday girl!

Here is what Grant gave Aunt Heidi for her birthday.... notice the dazed expression and black mark on the bridge of Heidi's nose!?!?
If you can't tell from my sister's dazed expression Grant was coming down the hill and rather than turning took a beeline for Heidi who was kneeling on the hill watching him come down. He ran into her (doing about 20!) and gave her this nice black and blue nose with his helmet. Poor Heidi could have ducked out of the way but she was soo worried about Grant being able to stop before the trees that she sacrificed herself and attempted to "catch" Grant. Poor Heidi.... I do have to say the area where it actually hit and swelled up gave her nose a very nice filled out look. Hopfully when the swelling goes down it will still look okay. Happy Birthday to Heidi!

4 comments:

  1. What a little natural! Takes after his mommy! I can't imagine taking a 3 year old on a chair lift. Are you sure he was able to breathe while you held him? It's so great that you can do these things with him and let him experience the same hobbies. I do hope Heidi's nose is healing. Tell her that I absolutely LOVE her pink/gray outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great birthday for Heidi...although I'm sure she could have done without the nose shot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great birthday for your sis. Your lucky you live close enough to enjoy each other. So sweet she sacrificed her face for her nephew (what we don't do for our relatives). Glad you made it up the mountain safely; I think I would have turned around when I saw the signs. That's pretty cool that skiing is so natural for Grant and that he is so good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool that Grant is such a natural on skis! I would have had a complete panic attack with him on the lift...good job Mom! I am not sure if your sis wanted an injury for her birthday, but what a great Aunt and a fun day otherwise! The snow is so pretty too...It almost makes me want to try skiing again...ok, not really, I will leave that to the Stellar clan!

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML