Sunday, October 19, 2008

WARNING! This blog contains blantant bragging. Read on at your own risk!

Ok, so if you are still reading this consider yourself warned. I didn't know how else to record this with out it being braggy so, I am just putting it out there with appropriate warning labels. Please forgive...

So Grant and I have been hanging out together this week because James had a conference/meeting down in California. After his California conference James is heading to Texas to visit with his family a few days and attend another conference down in Houston. So a total of two weeks being gone. I know this is nothing compared to our military friends and it actually really helps me knowing how well you all function with your husbands gone for such long periods of time. Thank you!

Fortunately because of travel expenses and such James could not just do a triangular route and head to Houston from California but had to come back to Seattle spend the night and head out the next morning for Houston. What this is all leading up to is Grant and I going down to spend the night with James in the hotel before he had to leave the next day.

It was great to see James and be pampered by room service for the night and morning. Grant and I took full advantage of our little trip and shopped Seattle before and after seeing James. (Grant is a way better shopper than his Daddy!)

So that night when we are all eating our room service (it is the little things in life right?). Grant started scribbling on a notepad and asked Daddy to scribble some things too. James started with letters and had Grant repeat the sounds which he is very good at. Then just for fun wrote the word "Cat". Grant went through and said the appropriate letter sounds, paused and then said CAT!! Holy crap did Grant just put that word together and say it? Did he just actually read this??? I was so surprised and taken aback that I had James try another one and then another, dog, horse, sat, ball etc. etc. GRANT IS READING! Don't know how this happened exactly but his little synapsis must have just clicked recently and now he is putting the sounds together into words.

I know, I know Mikie could read before he was out of the womb and all (wink, wink Tracy!) but this is Grant and I am proud of him and just wanted to make sure I got this down so I would always remember that he was 3 1/2 when he started to read.

On another note Grant just started riding his pony CC all by himself for the first time ever this weekend. No lead rope, no help from me getting her to go. I waited in the middle of the field and Grant guided her around the trees in the pasture and back to me all by himself. I am so proud!

7 comments:

  1. That's great Holley! Why have kids if you can't brag about them??? :) Good luck with your hubby being gone for the extended period of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have every right to brag; I don't think anyone brags more than a grandparent (especially this one). So shout it from the rooftop or the barn door or the hotel. Grant deserves it!!!

    WOW, way to go Grant!!!! Keeping secrets from mommy & daddy.

    He is a very smart little boy to read and ride alone all in a weeks time. My heart would have been doing fip flops at his first solo riding adventure. Back to reading...you will be surprized next time you are out in public and he reads the words ice cream or pizza and you'll have to stop because you can no longer can tell him "no there's not." Keep up the good work teaching him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just also wanted to add something about James...Holley and I were camping that weekend so we were going to miss him before he left for his business trip - anyhow, when we got home to Holley's empty house there was a sweet note from James and Grant to Holley. Apparently they cooked "together" for Holley so that when James was gone she and Grant would be able to pull out a hot dish and cook it. I think he made 7 HUGE dishes and had them labeled in the freezer with directions, such as cooking time and "add cheese". How much sweeter can you get? They were good ones like lasagna, tator tot, polish sausage casserole.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome Holley!! Way to go Grant! Maybe he needs to come down here and help Calvin learn his letters... And what's up with James cooking all the dinners for you? You are one lucky lady!! Too bad you couldn't have joined James on his trip - we would love to see you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man Holley, You must be pretty special to have your two favorite men in your life prepare dinners for you. I can just hear Grant when you and him eat them "Daddy & I fixed these Mommy" and the smile on his sweet face. You will be both thinking of James while he is away on business. You girls are so STRONG to raise a family while your loved one is away. I admire all of you for the wonderful women that you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it the best feeling when they start reading? I've always gotten so excited to hear my students learn to read, but when it's your own kid you're almost in tears at their wonderful accomplishments. Great job, Grant!!! Now, in case you're looking for a book series to help foster his new talent, I highly recommend Scholastic's Phonics Readers (books 1-72). You can find them online but they are pretty pricey. Also, Scholastic's My First Steps to Reading (a book on each alphabet letter and numbers 1-10) with a workbook for writing practice...also online. I haven't used this series: BOB books, but have seen them and they look like a nice set (can be found at Borders). Borders also has beginning readers (I've seen some Curious George ones) which start at level one. But, if you're looking for just a few stories to have him read on his own stick with the Dr. Seuess books like Cat in the Hat and Hop on Pop and Go Dog Go. They use the high frequency and dolch sight words that the kids will start recognizing first. Next you have to capture him reading on video and upload that to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, forgot to say how spoiled you are! ;-)Dinners already made for you...sounds exactly like what my mom does for my dad when she comes to visit me. What a sweet husband.

    ReplyDelete

Background HTML